Thursday, February 16, 2012

Paris

I confess,I thought Paris was the world's most over rated holiday destination. If you were to explore, you'd find beauty all around the world and romance in it if you really were looking for it. So, then why all the hoopla surrounding Paris?
I first visited Paris in the summer of 2011. It took me all of 30 min,the drive from the Paris-Charles de Gualle airport to the hotel, to figure out why Paris is PARIS and why I left a little chunk of me there,when I left 4 days later.

On my way to the Hotel,when I drove past the the magnificence that is Eiffel Tower,my heart leaped. Unusual right? That's what I thought too. I was prepared to not be awed by the sight of the giant iron tower. Yet,there I was overwhelmed within seconds of casting sight on it. From my hotel window, I could see it in a distance, tall,reaching out to the clear blue evening skies of Paris. To call it serene,wouldn't be doing it justice. In that moment,I knew people were right when they called Paris,the city of love. It really is. Everyday for the next 4 days that I spent in Paris,I walked to the Eiffel Tower thrice daily. All the while exploring the rest of the beautiful city.

I could never explain in pictures or in words, the wonder that is Paris. There is more,much more to this city than just love and Eiffel Tower,but after exploring as much as I could in 4 days,I'd say the Eiffel Tower is the icing on this cake. No matter what opinion or perception you hold of Paris,you could possibly not take more than a couple of hours,(for me 30 min) to figure out everything you have heard about the city is true and just a percentage of what you'll experience. Also, you could possibly not convey more than a percentage of your experience (even if you're the world's best with words or pictures), to the people still alien to Paris.

Paris for me is closest to imagining paradise. Even now, a year later,it takes me seconds to close my eyes and teleport to Paris's cold streets,shimmering under the winter's coy sun,tracing the path to the Eiffel Tower from the hotel,keeping my eyes glued to the distant figure. Being awestruck,to the extent of knots in the stomach and being rendered speechless for a while after reaching it.

A part of me still roams the tulip gardens and the banks of the river Seine.
I believe Paris is a part of me and someday I will be a part of Paris.




No comments:

Post a Comment