I sat through multiple games of cricket today. For the first time, in so many years, I was bothered to follow the game and enjoy it too. You want to know why? Because the game means SO much to him. Months back I was told about the premier league at the institute and over the months after that I noticed how much he loved the game and many a times, I thought I would try to read about it and learn. However, if adorable Rahul Dravid and cute Yuvraj Singh couldn't get me to learn about the game, reading about it online was just a *yawn*. Then I thought, maybe I would contribute and buy a team. So, I started with a lot of haste, asking him silly questions about the game and then once he spoke for about 45 minutes, explaining minute details of the game, to me. I confess, I didn't understand all of it, but it surely caught my attention.
I did contribute a meager amount and buy a team and as a cherry on the cake, I bought him too. I think it would have crushed all my learning spirits had my team not been able to buy him at the players auction. This sweet sense of knowing, I own him. Call me crazy but I have such a sense of ownership, at the moment.
Today, we had our first game. Although, we didn't perform to our best abilities. I watched him play and boy! I didn't want us to win because it was our team or because winning is such an achievement. I wanted us to win because I could see how much he wanted to win. For a little while there, he was a little aggressive and I hoped he wouldn't lose his cool and he didn't. He played, put in his efforts, he was disappointed at the end of the game and he did sulk for a while but the best part is, he didn't brood. He was over it and back to normal in a jiffy. (So mature, no?) I love that. I love that about him. I love how sure he is of himself and how he knows what he is worth.
It made me so happy to see him play, to take on the court the way he did. I am so happy, I am taking an interest in the game, for his sake. If not today, I am sure we'll have a future time and moment where we would really discuss a game of cricket and all its aspects. And, when that happens, I'll know it was this phase at college and it was him, who really got me interested in this sport. It will always be because of him.
I did contribute a meager amount and buy a team and as a cherry on the cake, I bought him too. I think it would have crushed all my learning spirits had my team not been able to buy him at the players auction. This sweet sense of knowing, I own him. Call me crazy but I have such a sense of ownership, at the moment.
Today, we had our first game. Although, we didn't perform to our best abilities. I watched him play and boy! I didn't want us to win because it was our team or because winning is such an achievement. I wanted us to win because I could see how much he wanted to win. For a little while there, he was a little aggressive and I hoped he wouldn't lose his cool and he didn't. He played, put in his efforts, he was disappointed at the end of the game and he did sulk for a while but the best part is, he didn't brood. He was over it and back to normal in a jiffy. (So mature, no?) I love that. I love that about him. I love how sure he is of himself and how he knows what he is worth.
It made me so happy to see him play, to take on the court the way he did. I am so happy, I am taking an interest in the game, for his sake. If not today, I am sure we'll have a future time and moment where we would really discuss a game of cricket and all its aspects. And, when that happens, I'll know it was this phase at college and it was him, who really got me interested in this sport. It will always be because of him.
No comments:
Post a Comment